A sustainable transport system is a mode of transportation that supports movement and commuting in the human environment without damaging the environment or ecosystem in any way. In other words, it is a transportation system that has a relatively low impact on the environment.
Sustainable transport looks into transport systems that are eco-friendly, and this is not just beneficial to humans, but also to the environment. This means of movement does not make use of any substance that creates pollution in the environment.
There are so many ways we can all embrace sustainability in our environment, and one of them is by embracing these types of transport systems. Overtime, many sustainable means of transportation have been emerging. Here are some of the top options to consider for a safer society.
1. Cycling: Sustainable mobility is fast taking the pace as a leading transportation system. There are so many benefits to sustainable transportation. Their benefits are both to the human health and the environment as well. Cycling is an eco-friendly transportation system that has been in existence for a long period. Researchfrom the United Kingdom found that those who cycle to work have a 45 percent reduced chance of getting cancer. Cycling is one of the most popular means of sustainable transport systems today, and you can get on the bandwagon too if you want a safer and better society.
2. Walking: Most people consider walking a tedious activity, but the truth is, research has found out that engaging in walking activities everyday has a great impact on us and our environment. Walking is a green transportation system we don’t talk about often. Engaging in frequent walks has its benefits and some of them are; reduced traffic congestion, reduced gas emission, reduced air pollution, reduced dependence on gas and other forms of non-renewable energy, reduced transportation cost, reduced health issues, and an improved physical health.
3. Electric Cars: Electric cars have been recorded as one of the environment friendly transportation means. Although they are not easily accessible by all, its green benefits abound. Research on electric carshas shown that they are one of the contributing transportation systems to reduce gas emission, thereby helping in creating a sustainable environment. Electric cars have been noted to have so many benefits that makes it a sustainable means of transportation. Some of these benefits include; they contribute towards improving the air quality in an environment, they reduce carbon emission, they make use of a renewable energy source, and they are quieter that other types of cars. These many benefits of electric cars ensure they make the list of sustainable transport options in our world.
4. Carpooling: Carpooling is a sustainable transportation system most of us are not even aware of. If a considerable amount of people living in a city could commit to improving carpooling, transportation would be cheaper and safer for everyone. Carpooling is a sustainable transportation system because it can help to reduce the number of vehicles constantly on the road while also saving us some money in the long run.
5. Public Transportation: Public transportation fits into the category of green public transport systems. By committing to public transportation, there is a lot to benefit from. Its sustainability is not only to us but also to our environment. When we all try to make use of regular public transportation to convey ourselves to our various destinations, we reduce the volume of cars and other vehicles that are constantly on the road, and when these numbers are reduced, carbon emission is reduced drastically. Also, with public transportation, we get the chance to save some cost that could have been spent on repairs, as well as for procurement of gas. Another benefit of public transportation is that its sustainability also impacts traffic. With lesser vehicles on the road, there will definitely be lesser traffic to deal with.
6. Car Sharing: Car sharing is another sustainable transport idea. Here, you can decide to share a car regularly with your friends, partner or family members. Another car sharing method is making use of car sharing services instead of owning your own car. This could be in the form of using Uber drivers or other methods of car sharing to regulate the number on the road. It is cheaper and eco-friendly.
Sustainable transportation has several impacts on us as a people. Its benefits are beyond enhancing a safer environment, as it also helps in saving us a huge chunk of money, ensuring a cleaner and saner environment, as well as benefiting the entire ecosystem.